December 22, 2019
Iowa West Foundation funds a wide variety of activities through our four portfolios. There are, however, some grants that we do not consider.
- Activities that violate your nonprofit status – the IRS sets out in its code restrictions on what public charities can legally do and maintain their status. These restrictions can include some forms of advocacy or non-charitable activities (either taxable “unrelated business,” or activities that could jeopardize your public charity status). We adhere to these restrictions set by the IRS.
- Regranting programs – The Iowa West Foundation does not see pass-through or programs that sub-award our funding as impactful ways to use our limited resources. These “donative” grants are not eligible for funding.
- Past costs, debts, or expenses – We understand that occasionally work on a project has to begin prior to our award announcement. However, when we review your proposal budget, we only include the work you plan to do after we announce an award as an eligible match to our funding. Please review our grants cycle timeline in order to understand which cycle bests matches the needs of your project.
- Discrimination or intolerance – We promote equitable inclusive communities and do not fund activities that would likely result in inappropriate discrimination against any individual or group especially when based on legally protected classes.
- Sacramental church activities – Churches are an important part of the nonprofit universe. We support church activities that are non-religious in nature. Sacramental or religious activities are not eligible for our funding.
- Fundraising events – We do not contribute to endowment campaigns nor support benefits or fundraising events, such as galas, golf tournaments, and school dinners.
- Public safety facilities/vehicles – Public safety facilities (police and fire stations) or public safety vehicles are not eligible. Our funding in support of public safety equipment is typically organized through the Pottawattamie County Firefighters Association. For additional information on the equipment program, please contact our Grants Assistant, Pam Bierce
- Medical / Healthcare: We do not fund program, operating, or capital grants to medical facilities (including hospitals, assisted living projects, nursing homes, independent care, and extended care facilities); medical research; medical equipment; medical education; and/or, hospital charity care assistance.
- Publications / Conferences: Publications, films, books, seminars, symposia, and conferences are excluded from our program.
- Recently Declined Applications: If you submitted an application within the past 12 months you may not reapply for the same program during that period.