Iowa West Foundation funds a wide variety of activities through our variety of portfolios. There are, however, some grants that we do not consider.
- Activities that violate your nonprofit status: The IRS sets out in its code restrictions on what public charities can legally do and maintain their status. We adhere to these restrictions set by the IRS.
- Discrimination or intolerance: We promote equitable, inclusive communities and do not fund activities that would result in inappropriate discrimination against any individual or group.
- Fundraising events: We do not contribute to endowment campaigns nor support benefits or fundraising events, such as galas, golf tournaments, and school dinners.
- Medical / Healthcare: We do not fund the costs associated with medical care. This includes the operations or construction of medical facilities. It also includes grants that address circumstances arising from specific medical conditions.
- Past costs, debts, or expenses: We understand that occasionally work on a project must begin prior to our award announcement. However, when we review your proposal budget, we only consider as a match the costs / work you anticipate after we provide notification of an award. Please review our grants cycle timeline to understand which cycle bests matches the needs of your project.
- Public safety facilities/vehicles: Public safety facilities (police and fire stations) or public safety vehicles are not eligible. We organize our funding in support of public safety equipment through the Pottawattamie County Firefighters Association. For additional information on the equipment program, please contact our Grants Coordinator, Pam Bierce.
- Regranting programs: The Iowa West Foundation does not fund programs that sub-award our funding.
- Religious activities: Churches and religious organizations are an important part of our community. We support their secular activities, but religious activities are not eligible for our funding. As a result, churches and religious organizations are not eligible for operating grants, or capital grants that support facilities used for religious activities.
- Recently Declined Applications: You may not reapply for a program that was declined in the past 12 months.
- Sponsorship: Publications, films, books, seminars, and conferences are not eligible as stand-alone projects. They may only be considered when they directly support eligible programs.