Pottawattamie Promise is an Iowa West Foundation initiative designed to:
- Better prepare high school students for post-secondary education
- Eliminate financial and other barriers to access with full-ride scholarships, housing and support services
- Support and counsel students to pursue a college degree and/or to complete a certificate program
Pottawattamie Promise is based on the belief that students who receive both education and wraparound support services can and will go on to earn competitive wages in fulfilling careers and contribute to their communities. Put simply, the program allows more local students the opportunity to earn the credentials they need to acquire well-paid jobs upon graduation.
In the fall of 2015, 44 Pottawattamie Promise Scholarship recipients enrolled at Iowa Western, followed by 61 in the fall of 2016. Approximately 100 students from Council Bluffs and Riverside Community school districts will enroll in the fall of 2017, thanks to Pottawattamie Promise.
Too many Pottawattamie County high school students lack the resources and support they need to attend and complete college. Pottawattamie Promise aims to reach a majority of eligible students by the year 2020. As educated, skilled workers, Pottawattamie Promise graduates will be vital to our growing regional workforce.
Pottawattamie Promise is a unique collaboration, led by Iowa West Foundation, in partnership with Peter Kiewit Foundation and Iowa Western Community College. The participating school districts include two urban school districts (Council Bluffs Community Schools and Lewis Central Community Schools) and two rural school districts (Riverside and AHSTW).
We believe that Pottawattamie Promise and its students will help establish Pottawattamie County as a premier education community with a strong, trained workforce.
1. Increased high school graduation rates
2. Increased number of students college/certificate and career-ready
3. Increased postsecondary enrollment and completion
4. Seamless education to career pathways
5. A culture where earning a college degree, obtaining professional certification, or becoming skilled in a trade is the norm in our community.
AHSTW Community School District
Tri-Center School District
Iowa Western Community College
Riverside Community School District
Lewis Central Community School District
712-366-8212 ext. 7358
Council Bluffs Community School District
712-328-6514 Ext. 11344